It’s not too hard to perform a flawless flossing job—you just need to be gentle and pay close attention to the process. To help you perform the best flossing job possible, we are happy to provide the following flossing steps:
1. Use about 18 inches of floss. Wind most of the floss around one of your middle fingers and wind the rest around the middle finger on the opposite hand.
2. Hold the floss firmly between your thumbs and forefingers.
3. Slip the floss between your teeth using a gentle rubbing motion. Do your best to not snap the floss into the gums.
4. When you get closer to the gum line, curve the floss into a “C” shape. Then, gently slide the floss between the gums and the tooth.
5. Hold the floss tightly against the tooth and gently rub each side, removing the food particles and plaque that are stuck there. Repeat this process between each tooth and remember to floss behind your last tooth.
If you do these five things, you are on the right track! If you don’t, it’s time to adjust your flossing technique today. Please also remember to use a clean section of floss between each tooth. This is very important because if you don’t, you will be flossing with dirty floss, which will make your smile filthier rather than cleaner.
Call our office today for more details. We are happy to teach you all about flossing and the benefits behind it!